Sunday, January 25, 2009

October 07 : Bintan


I had a rush but pretty enjoyable trip to Bintan the last 2 days and wow the spa experience was so out of the world

I was able to redeem a free Banyan Tree Bintan spa treatment which is 3 hours long during the Great Singapore Sale period and it was coming close to the expiry and I didn't have time to go then but due to the expiry I made time to go yesterday. Since it made no sense to take the ferry just to go and come back, I booked a night stay in Angsana Bintan, why Angsana you asked? That's cos Banyan Tree is bloody expensive and the cost for 1 night stay is enough to pay for a short trip somewhere else in the region.

The whole experience was quite interesting, let me share with all. When I arrived at 9 plus in the morning in Bintan, I waited a while at the lounge area as the hotel shuttle bus waited for the rest of the guests to get through customs. Once done, we were ferried to the hotel where we were all able to do our check-in and due to a request for early check-in by my travel agency, I was told my room was ready and it was not even 10 am yet. Imagine my joy at what I can do once I check-in..geesh...however I was told to give the housekeeping a 10 mins more so the front desk officer brought me to the lobby lounge to enjoy my welcome drink and while doing that I caught up on Singapore news by reading the newspaper that arrived together on the same ferry as me. Before I finished the whole paper, my room was ready and the key delivered to me by the front desk officer who asked if I need help with my luggage..who is she kidding? Me? With just a backpack..hmmm..alright I guess it is just something they had to ask.

And before I forget, I just want to say this is my 2nd trip to Angsana Bintan and I had a room previously that was at the extreme corner of the hotel and has a gorgeous view of the whole stretch of beach when you open the balcony door and this time round, I didn't get to have that room because the hotel was having full occupancy and the room was unavailable. Nonetheless I was still give a room on the highest floor but this time near the lifts which is great, I don't have to walk that far.

Once in my room, I unpacked and took some time out to surf the channels on tv and make myself a cup of coffee. Then changed into my swimming costume and head down to the pool to swim. Then head up to my room to shower before heading down for an activity And on the way there I had to pass by the pool and the pool staff were distributing watermelon for the guests and they asked if I want one as I was passing through and I did, and let me tell you, it was amazing...it is just like 4-5 small bits of them on a satay stick but guess what? They were frozen and it was fantastic thirst quencher as the sun was up then. For those who never stay in Angsana, I just want to tell you that they have various activities daily for their guests and 1 of the activity that I was interested in was Nasi Goreng demonstration...and yes, you get to eat what the chef cooked and also you are given the chance to try (nope I didn't, the wok seems too heavy for me but 1 Caucasian lady tried it) and we were again given the chance to try the lady's Nasi Goreng.

All that done, I was just in time to head straight to the hotel lobby where an Angsana buggy will drive me next door to Banyan Tree for my spa treatment. You seems to get alot of royal treatment I would say, once the buggy drop you at the Banyan Tree lobby, a Banyan Tree buggy will drive you straight to the spa...I always have a thought that all the treatments are held in a location, like a spa building but NO, not Banyan Tree, I was driven up to a villa which is a Spa Pavillon and it is exclusively for my use...dang...and it is 2 storey high with its own swimming pool and I get to enjoy the whole place on my own. And the whole villa faces the sea, fantastic view. Unfortunately it was raining quite a fair bit on Monday so it gets dark pretty fast. Once I stepped into the villa, I was told to change my footwear and led to a huge bed like chair where I was served Ginger tea (cold or hot up to you) while I get a footbath...guess what? They pour in fresh orange juice into the bath...I never knew my feet needed the Vit C that much hehe

After 30 mins, my feet was lightly kneaded and dried and I was led downstairs to have my spa treatment and dang, isn't it grand...ok the treatment name is Royal Banyan and all in all, it is 3 hours long and it cost USD220 excluding tax for those who wants to know. And I tell you it is worth every penny and I would love to go back and enjoy it again...drool....I was given a scrub which makes me smell like cucumber because it was a cucumber lemongrass scrub...and the therapist turned on the shower for me before I get off the bed so I can immediately get under the warm water...AND that's not all, guess what? the rainforest shower was outdoor...YES you hear me right....it was right outside on the balcony...only then I realised that there were 2 outdoor shower for 2 person separately should you come as a couple and hey, there is not door, and the balcony looks out to the sea with the rainforest right underneath you...YES I did see a building quite a distance away and NO I don't think they can see me and neither do I hope they can...Oh by the way before I forget, you are recommended to take the whole treatment in the nude..yeah you hear me right but then don't worry about it cos the therapist will cover you appropriately. But should you feel shy, they always have paper panty available in the super huge toilet attached where you change out of your clothes.

Midway through the treatment I fell asleep because it was just so comfortable and relaxing. Pretty much then the water started running again and you wonder if you are going outdoors again but no...at the end of the treatment you were asked to take a dip in a sunken bath which is in the toilet but has one side looking into the treatment room...I do miss the outdoor shower though...but the bath is alright for me. I was given 10 mins to soak in it and because the therapist had prepared tealights for me, I told her I would like to switch off the lights so I can enjoy the bath and I did. The therapist then asked if I would like my refreshment served while I am in the bath or would I like to enjoy it when I get back to the lounge area upstairs, I choose the latter and thank goodness I said that cos the refreshment is a pot of Ginger Tea and a small plate of fresh fruits and I believed that every step of this treatment must be enjoyed in their own separate ways. By now the sky has already darken and the therapist called the buggy to come pick me up. Once I was at the lobby I told the Banyan Tree staff to call for the Angsana buggy BUT while waiting there was a Caucasian couple who probably just finished their dinner at Banyan Tree and was headed back to Angsana and when the buggy came, they actually boarded the buggy first. Maybe I was just being unfriendly or stubborn but because I didn't want to share the buggy with them, I waited until the buggy disappeared from sight before approaching the hotel staff and told them why did the Caucasian couple took my buggy? The hotel staff was very apologetic because he didn't know I was still there (And he was right, I was very quiet and was sitting behind a huge potted plant) but he made amends and I was driven back to Angsana in the Banyan Tree MPV or SUV, whatever..haha so I get to enjoy an airconditioned comfy ride versus open air and bumpy ride. Short as it may be, it is still a joy after all. Back to my hotel I decided to eat at the open air grill but it was closed due to the rain and so I decided to eat at the main restaurant..and again for those who don't know, Angsana and Banyan Tree charges everything in USD. But I was just so relaxed and therefore lazy to go make myself instant porridge which I brought along. So I order some light noodles and while waiting I decided to head to the Gallery to see what they are selling and told the restaurant staff to come get me if my food arrived before I get back and they did....this is what I call good customer service. Oh and before I forget, the restaurant was selling dinner but because I wanted something light, they actually allow me to order from the lunch menu...isn't that fantastic?

So that marked my 1st day, I headed back to my room and soon I was in bed and probably snoring away.

Next day I woke up earlier than my alarm clock and headed down to the restaurant for my breakfast. It wasn't very crowded and the hotel staff were great, kept offering to top up my coffee and in the end I downed 3 cups by the time I finished my breakfast. Then because I had a heavy breakfast I decided to take a walk along the beach and it was great because the tide was higher than yesterday and one of the hotel staff who worked at the Water Sports Centre came by and talked to me and soon it was time for him to conduct his snorkelling lesson (which is free btw for those who had never snorkel before and are guests of the hotel) and I headed back to my room, took a break and decided to go down and swim. But before I can head down to the pool, my phone ring, turned out it was their Laguna Holiday Club membership people who of cos asked me to indulge 90 mins of my time to listen to their sales pitch and they will bring me along for a short tour around the Laguna Golf Course. I was thinking no harm done since it was only 11 something in the morning and I had a late check-out at 3 pm. Guess what? Turned out by the time I finished it was already coming to 3 pm..AND my stuff are still thrown everywhere in the room, so I quickly went up and packed my stuff (Actually I was still wearing my swimwear) and a quick call to the front desk to find out if there were any shower facilities at the pool and there were so I still went for a swim after I check-out. AND you know what? I found out I was given 2 welcome drinks, I still had a voucher but because I wanted to head to the pool, the staff at the lounge actually gave the drink to me in a plastic cup so I can takeaway the drink...wonderous...so i had a quick swim and head to the shower and then get back to the hotel lobby by 430 so I can catch the hotel shuttle to get to the ferry terminal for my 530 pm ferry. Less than 5 minutes after the shuttle left, I realised I left my swimwear in the toilet and I had to request the driver to send us back again and he did and so it was a mad rush as I ran up and down the stairs to the pool toilet and back and up the shuttle bus again (the pool toilet is quite a distance away btw)...what a workout! Oh btw for the supposingly '90 mins' talk, I got in return a 3 days 2 nights hotel stay in Allamanda Phuket, hey hey not a bad deal cos it is a great hotel and own by the same owner as Banyan Tree and Angsana and Laguna.

Reached the ferry terminal still in good time and decided to checked out the new factory outlet that is located next to the ferry terminal, it was pathetic, not worth going, very small area, clothes not appealing so I was there in and out in less than 5 mins.

Then took the ferry and back in Singapore by 730 pm.




No comments:

Post a Comment