Sunday, January 25, 2009

June 2006 : Siem Reap


The first trip I took after walking out of my job in H.
.........................................................................................................

If I were to say Angkor Wat is fantastic, fabulous, wonderful, will I sound like someone you know?

Frankly, it was an eye opener...the place is huge and in my mind, I always thought it was a ruin but surprise surprise...it stands perfectly well, maintained well though I won't say in pristine condition...but most of the carvings on the walls are still in good condition...

You will also notice that there are some chunks taken out of the walls...apparently some foreign tourists cut it out and pilifer the gems inside...who's to know, this is like Taj Mahal??

I had a good tour guide, can speak relatively good English and was able to tell me stories about the carvings on the walls, helpful and good mannered, a friendly tuk tuk driver who wanted to give me some cute pictures and ringtones that was in his handphone (yeah don't be surprised, most people here do have handphones) and perfect weather (at least it didn't start to rain until I finished the whole tour) so I count myself truly blessed...

By cramming everything in one day, saves one some $$$$. USD 15 for the driver, US 20 for the 1 day temple pass and USD 25 for the tour guide (Tipping excluded of cos). Temple pass grant you access to all temples from opening till the closing of the temples...remember though if you want to save the pass as a souvenir, you might want to snap a photo of it first as the guards at each temple may snip a corner off here, tear it away there, punch a hole somewhere, you don't end up with a complete pass by the end of the day.

If you are thinking whether cramming all the main temples visit into one day is too rush, my advise to you is no, unless you are travelling in a big group where the rest may hold up the group but I finished everything by about 2 pm and that included taking time out for lunch.

Food's not cheap in case everyone is wondering...a Coke can set you back USD 1 and in some restaurants USD 2, a bowl of noodle soup cost you USD 3 and a packet of potato chips USD 1.50 cheapest...so if you are thinking of spending little here, you can try eating at the road side stall which my friend mentioned can set you back only USD 1 but hey I wouldn't want to risk getting stomach upset...besides the food served in my hotel are simply delicious, fresh and satisfying so why take the risk?

Worth a visit definitely but I don't think one needs to stay beyond 4 days for Siem Reap!!

No comments:

Post a Comment