Monday, January 26, 2009

January 08 : Bangkok


It was suppose to be a great experience but flight wise it was ok but when we reach the Bangkok airport, we got an old driver and he seems to be half awake. At one point when we were leaving the airport, I think he would have crashed the car into the side wall if my dad has not took hold of the steering wheel and swerve the car away. Along the way, he was driving by straddling many lanes, kinda scary and he couldn't find out hotel and when we reached, we wanted to get out at the side but he doesn't want to let us down and insist wanted to drive us to the entrance...I even gave him a good tip...should have just saved it.

Anyway I stayed at a reasonably good hotel, Sofitel at Sukhumvit using my miles to redeem. When I check in, they told me my room wasn't ready and we have to wait at least 45 mins. I took a shower in the fitness centre and then decided to head out to get my lunch and when I returned, my room was not ready yet...by then it was already 1 hour. I stormed up to the reception and told them and they say for a king size bed room, they are still making up the room. I told them, check my reservation, I asked for 2 double bed and not 1 king size bed. Then they told me oh then they have the room ready. The room was the smallest on the floor but no complaints because it was new and clean. But I just felt there wasn't any customer service, no one follow up with us and no one offer us any drinks while we waited.

Anyway we check-in and headed out to Chitlom to walked around. Gosh Bangkok has changed a lot, the old World Trade Centre has been renamed Central World and further down the road at Siam, there was also a new and huge shopping mall call Siam Paragon...more high end but it was so crowded and they have an oceanarium in the basement, very innovative and entreprising. Why wasn't Singapore so interesting?

We didn't do much shopping, mainly doing some local products shopping only and Bangkok was wild during that period. They celebrated New Year with a vengeance. Apparently they exchange Christmas presents on New Year's Day and many shopping malls were having a New Year's Day countdown. We were caught in one outside Central World and could barely squeeze our way through. By the time they started the countdown and started the fireworks, I was already sleeping away.

The day after was our check-out day, we only headed to MBK to do more local goods shopping then headed back to our hotel vicinity to do Thai massage and foot massage. Then we check-out by hitching a taxi on the roadside...cost us 200 bht vs 400 bht using the hotel's call service. Arrive at the airport 3 hours in advance and wander inside to shop and have dinner. It was alright, if it is the old airport, it wouldn't been worth it. Some late passengers boarded the plane late but we arrived still on time and we leave the airport at exactly 12 midnite. And yes, still have to work today. Came home, saw that a live Man Utd match was on the tv so watched it and packed my bag for tonight, shower and zzzz

No comments:

Post a Comment