Wednesday, April 15, 2009

India, Day 3

Checked out of my hotel and spent time in the office until 130 pm before I head out to the airport. The airport shopping and food is pretty limited. I bought some natural fruit rolls and I kind of regret not trying out one before buying more. Now I ended up with so many which I may not even eat. How do I know it doesn’t taste fabulous? I tried 1 in the plane.

Anyhow I was glad I took Jet Airways for my domestic flight, I heard most domestic flights are budget airlines so they don’t serve food. However much to my delight they do and the stewardess was kind enough to show me the contents of the vegetarian choice and the non-vegetarian choice. In the end I took the vegetarian because the non-vegetarian is mutton which again is something I don’t consume. The vegetarian was ok, there were Indian spices inside but it was not that strong a taste and there were potatoes that I can eat.

I didn’t finish all of course and when the stewardess came by to clear my tray, she was very nice and ask if it was something that doesn’t fit my taste since I have leftover. I told her it was ok because normally I don’t take Indian food and I have already taken a big portion of it meaning it is reasonably ok. In the end, she actually talked to her colleague in the galley and asked her colleague if they have any non-indian selection on the plane and viola, there was and it came with 2 pieces of chicken, a pie and a potato. The stewardess was telling me it was a specially requested meal by a passenger and the passenger didn’t want to have it so lucky me. Later they still checked back with me to ask if the food was good and it was and after they cleared my tray, they served me Coke in a can which I don’t see any passengers getting haha.

I guess this is the good part of sitting close to the galley BUT and it is a BIG BUT…I did my internet check in the day before and I specifically asked for the front row seat and the no. I chose turned out to be on the last row of the flight, just in front of the 2 toilets that emits the smell of moth balls which is a huge turn-off.
Above that, there is a guy who suffered from stroke sitting right in front of and he kept making noises when he is uncomfortable or communicating with his family. It sounded like someone screaming without voice cords. Terrible. And he can’t keep his food down so he kept making vomiting sound to throw out his food, anyway maybe this is too much details and it is really horrifying.

Good thing is, this is just a 2.5 hours flight and I am typing this on the plane and as I am talking there is a huge queue right next to me, waiting to use the toilets. One of the girl has her scarf almost in my cup with the Coke in it. I had to remind her and she kinda look at me strangely. I don’t mind if you knock it over or spill my Coke but I cannot accept if you wash your scarf in my cup. I don’t need that additional flavor.
By this time, I already developed full blown chapped lips and it was bleeding though not badly. This makes me feel uncomfortable cos I can’t open my mouth wide and I feel a bit awkward of people looking at my lips.

Flight arrived early into Delhi and the luggage wait was no longer than 15 mins, but one of the turn off was the terribly hot heatwave the moment the airplane doors were open….arrrghhh and it was 37 degree Celsius. That’s crazy right? Back home although we are sunny year round, we don’t encounter 37 degree Celsius.

Nonetheless the airport looks new and I was told the domestic terminal was only built like 2 months ago so that’s great. But not sure how the international airport will be like unlike I fly off this Sunday.

Enroute the hotel, I was practically on the phone the whole way settling a business matter and thus wasn’t in the mood to observe the historical site. Closer to the hotel, the driver told me the hotel was 80 years old and I got a shock (it was actually 20 years old) and seeing my shocked face, the driver said however the hotel just underwent a renovation and in my heart I was thinking regardless, how will it be like after my encounter at the Bangalore and this was the same hotel chain.

Instead of horror of horrors, it was the total opposite. The hotel lobby was not extremely huge but it has very high ceiling making it look like a cave with blue lighting. To be honest, the hotel continues to surprise me everyday I stay in this hotel.

Let me tell you more. Upon check-in, the Front Desk person brought me to my room, initially I was abit worried because the person was a guy. But he was rather cute hehe.
They were pretty nice cos I request for a room near the lifts so I won’t have to be in some hidden unseen corner ala Bangalore experience. And they actually gave me the first room next to the lifts, you can sometimes hear people walking by or opening their door but for the convenience, I don’t care.

In the lift lobby of the floor, I can see a beautiful tiled wall and upon touching it, it feels like rubber and the seats in that lobby was really designer chic. I am sure I have seen these chairs in some décor magazines or websites before.

Moving on, the room is gorgeous, the wall and floor are all wood panels and looking like a log cabin or country style house. But that’s all the similarities. The bathroom has bronzy, brown tiles that are reflective, similar to some spas I went before. The tiles were all the way from the floor to the top of the walls. Best of all, they have nice cabinets with marble tops and they have a towel rack that I have been eyeing for a long time and a rainforest shower.

Now to the room itself, it has a wardrobe by the side of the bathroom door which looks conspicuous that you really don’t notice it. With this design, it looks very much like your own room back home. They have a huge designer chair unlike the chaise lounge you see at usual hotels. You get a bowl of fruits (unfortunately all apples which I did not consume because I do not want to wash it with tap water) AND get this….a bottle of Shiraz Cabernet (red wine for those who don’t know what that is) and it is free for consumption. Though I don’t drink but you could have kiss the floor in gratitude for the thoughtfulness of this hotel.

In fact, just so you know, I spent almost 1 hour after I checked in snapping photos of the hotel room…marvelous. You get also some almonds soak in water overnight and it comes with a card that states it is good for the mind if the almonds are soaked overnight and consume in the morning. Not sure how much it works I tried it the next day and it taste quite nice actually. There is a also a glass panel behind the headboard and it comes with mood lights that you can control. Wow.

You would have thought that’s the end right? But it is not, there are more. On my bed there is a booklet telling you the numerous type of pillows they offer guests and you can choose which pillows you want based on your preference….it was unbelievable. Needless to say, I asked for The Ultra Foam Deluxe pillow and now as I type and look at it, I realized the housekeeping brought me the Ultimate Neck Support Pillow instead. However I am not going to call the housekeeping again because the housekeeping guy freak me out. He is overly friendly, I have a strong feeling he wants me to provide him tips. Tonight when he came to pass the pillow, knowing I wanted water, he brought in 3 bottles and start to pass me rose water (saying for my skin) and also lip balm (this is really a god-send because I forgot to bring mine and this was really helpful, way helpful for my bleeding lips)…in actual fact, he passed me 2 sets of each. Insisted on giving me another pair of slippers which I don’t need and I make it very clear to him but he just can’t take no for an answer.

After which I went for a late dinner at the Chinese restaurant which is at the top floor of the hotel, at the same floor, there is a lounge that seems suspended in the sky and connected to the actual building by just 4 bridges that led to the lounge.

The Chinese food was ok, much better than I expected especially the noodles…very Chinese like although the soup I ordered still has a bit of Indian taste.

After dinner, I came back to shower and spend some time sitting on the designer chair reading my story book before I head to bed

No comments:

Post a Comment