Monday, April 13, 2009

India, Day 1

Flight was delayed as mentioned in the earlier entry and guess what? It was so not an enjoyable flight, as we all know night flights are always subject to much turbulence due to the winds and weather and this flight was not an exception. Given I fly SQ so much, this is the first time I truly hate the food they served. For the non-Indian selection, there are only stewed lamb and I don’t take lamb so I asked for the chicken ala Indian style. In the end the stewardess gave me the tray for the India food rather than the tray for the international meal meaning I don’t get to get the pasta salad that was in that tray. Thus it resulted in me not eating anything at all and the chicken was not to my taste. Stewardess told me if there are any international trays left she will come back to me and of cos she didn’t. Service sucks if you ask me.

Flight touches down in Bangalore airport at 12 midnight which is basically Monday already and by the time the luggage came out it is another 1 hour and by the time I reached the hotel it was already 2 am in the morning.

I was staying at le meridien and there was this spooky feeling when I first got there because it looked so old and the whole hotel was almost dark even inside the hotel, turned out it was just their way of saving electricity. On the other days after when I arrived at the hotel, it was quite well lit and thus you don’t feel the spookiness anymore.

Although the hotel was pretty old looking but the amenities and room design was acceptable, modern and high tech. But it wasn't really fantastic enough for me to snap photos of it also.

And best of all, it was only 2 mins away from the office allowing me to wake up late and still get to the office on time.

Had pizza for lunch on the first day because given a choice, I will avoid Indian food and my colleague knows of my preference. Poor him had to ask the driver to drive slowly so he can look out for non-indian restaurants along the streets for me.

Even so, the pizza still taste of Indian spices but it was at least not totally Indian taste. Didn’t finish the whole pizza so we took back 2 slices and see if anyone in the office wanted to have them.

That night itself, I decided to take my work back to the hotel to do so I can check out one of the malls supposingly big but it was just a shopping centre with no other shops and it is disgustingly small versus those back home.

After which, we went off for dinner and we had a hard time finding a non-indian restaurant and finally I told my coll I will settle for Indian and we stepped into this restaurant call Tandur I think which serves a lot of tandoori dishes and one big consolation was that there were a lot of foreigners inside so it was cool. The food was surprisingly good and the portion huge. Anyway again we didn’t finish the food at all.

At the end of the meal and in the days to come I realized the Indians like food that are very sweet or very salty and it was so different from what I am used to back home.

After dinner, I head back to the hotel and clear my emails till 12 midnight. Travelling on business is always very tiring.


No comments:

Post a Comment