Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Day 1 : Kalbarri & Monkey Mia

Woke up at 5+ again to get ready for my North trip. Feeling very tired as I didn't sleep well yesterday and the journey from Esperance to Perth was a very long trip and I didn't nap on the bus because I was reading a book.

The bus used today is more like a van, more comfy but due to the limited seats it is quite cramped. Changed my seat from the last row to a single seater, sweet....lot more leg room.

First stop was Pinnacles, I last went there like 13-14 years ago and it is slightly different, they spruced up the place abit. Ran into 2 gals from my trip down south as we will be on the same itinerary for the first 3 days. On the fourth day, I will head back to Perth while they will continue on to Broome, very far and many days away.

After Pinnacles, we went sand boarding at Sandy Bay, doing it for the first time and initially I was quite afraid of the heights but it was really not so steep to start with. Only went for 2 rounds as the tedious part is lugging the boards up the sand dunes after coming down, really tiring. Was all soaked in sand, they got into my clothes, mouth, camera, everything. We then had lunch there before moving on to our destination for tonight - Kalbarri.

Our guide aimed to reach there before it grew dark so we can see the sunset and also the coast at Port Denison. Quite excited to be near the ocean again. We passed by Geraldton on our way up north and it is surprisingly quite a beautiful town for a mining town, I would love to own one of the huge houses overlooking the ocean, drool. Apparently the weather is a cool 24 degree year round, sounds great!

By the way, the weather up north is very different from Perth. While the latter is cold and rainy, the north has been very hot so far, temperature wise it is not exactly very high as it is still windy but it is already too hot for my liking....arrggghhh.

Reached Kalbarri on target and we got to view the coast before the sunset. Once we checked into our hostel, we started on preparing the bbq and it was an easy affair as everyone helped out and we were able to finished all the cleanup before 9pm and also allows for me to enjoy my tea while writing this entry.

Tomorrow we will head to Monkey Mia, although I am looking forward to the scenery but I am already dreading the hot weather, my nose is peeling despite the moisturizer and sunblock!

No comments:

Post a Comment